Thursday, August 1, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent Granules for Sensitive Skin

I have kids who were always sensitive to soaps so I had to be careful what I bought to wash clothes
So finally I found soap making 101 and starting making good laundry soap and save money and save sensitive skin at the same time, WONDER MOM to the rescue always

I am tired of spending $$$ on soap and cleaners and wondering what is in it aren't YOU? So I decided to start going back to basics and saving money plus I am using what my Grandma used years ago with maybe one new thing thrown in for improvement and I am much happier with my products now.
 I make about a year's worth of laundry detergent for $15.

Homemade Laundry Detergent

Materials Needed:

2 bar Felz Naptha Laundry Soap Grated@.97 each
2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda@3.47 box
2 cup Dry Powdered Borax.@3.87 a box
2 cups of BIZ
2 cups baking soda

***
1.Grate 2 bars Felz Naptha Laundry Soap. I bought a cheap cheese grater and plastic shoe box from dollar store and use exclusively for grating the soap and storing my soap making tools.***See notes below

2. Add in other powdered ingredients. I also bought a cheap measuring cup from dollar store that I use exclusively for soap making because Borax is toxic to ingest.

2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
2 cup Dry Powdered Borax.
2 cups of BIZ
2 cups plain ole baking soda


3. Put in an air-tight container or it will harden with big clumps.

4: Mix together well. The air tight container will prove even more useful because you can put the lid on and just shake. If you are making a double batch you may have to stir just a bit.

5. Use 1 1/2 to 2 Tbsp for an extra Large Load in a Non High Efficiency Washer (see below if you have High efficiency washer). Experiment with a load of towels to see if you can get away with just using 1 1/2 TBSP in your washer.


Troubleshooting:
*If you grate the fels naptha soap pieces too big they won't dissolve, so do not rush this step. A friend tried this recipe and she said she used her food processor but the pieces were too big and did not dissolve.

*I have heard some people complain it doesn't melt in cold water, but since I ONLY use cold water to wash clothes the temp of the water is not the problem. If the soap flakes are not dissolving, you are not using enough water and/or stuffing your washer to full. High Efficiency washers do not use as much water as older washers. If you have a high efficiency washer you will need to use less detergent and maybe even look for a similar wet version of this detergent.

No comments:

Post a Comment