Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chamomile Lavender Mint Iced Tea


Is it tea, herbal infusion or tisane? According to Wikipedia, only a beverage made from the leaves and buds of green tea is called tea.

The term "herbal tea" usually refers to an infusion or tisane of leaves, flowers, fruit, herbs or other plant material that contains no Camellia sinensis
I have a preference for black tea over herbal teas, but I really like chamomile. So I added to my garden two plants last year.
My changes are noted after the original recipe.
I quartered the recipe to see if I liked it before making a pitcher full.
Very nice served chilled but equally enjoyable hot!

Yield: Makes 14 cups
Ingredients
  • 1 loosely packed cup fresh mint leaves
  • 2 tablespoons dried culinary lavender
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons dried chamomile (or 4 chamomile tea bags)
Preparation
1. Crush mint leaves and put in a 1-gal. lidded jar. Add lavender and chamomile.
2. Fill jar with water to within 2 in. of rim. Cover and refrigerate 6 hours. Pour through a cheesecloth-lined colander into pitcher for serving.
My Changes
Heat to boiling 4 cups of water
Add
1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves
1/2 tsp. lavender
1/8 cup chamomile flowers but I think I could have doubled this
After steeping 5-7 minutes, I thought it made a flavorful hot tea.
I allowed it too cool completely without straining and did not think it became bitter or too strong.
Sweetened with honey and served over ice.

If you have a chamomile tea recipe, I'd love if you would shared it!

No comments:

Post a Comment